The people-watching and listening assignments were mainly useful to me as a way to notice more deeply the things that are always going on around me. I watched people walk around in convo for a while, and it is nothing that I wouldn't see any other day in my periphery or just among my friends, but when you actually look closely at someone, you notice subtleties like gait, gestures, and how they look when they speak to people. I saw an awkwardly-walking boy take his tray back flanked by two short friends, and looked at their expressions (blank) and I watched the other people at my table for a while (I must have looked wierd); some sat quietly but calmly (different than acting class) and some talked, animated, barely noticing that they were eating food at the same time.
I listened by my window facing the quad during a quiet time of the day, hearing people walking outside, the wind after I turned my fan off, and sounds of televisions and people in the hallway, both of which sound much different than if you are in the same room. It was interesting to me how much sensory information is ignored so easily when I am not paying attention.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment