Monday, September 1, 2008

Seeing/Listening

Seeing
For the "seeing" part of this activity, I decided to just watch people walk around campus in between classes. As Dr. Vanata said in Wellness class two years ago, our generation is hooked up to their gadgets 24/7, and he turns out to be right again... For starters, if someone is walking alone, there was a good chance that he or she would have on either an ipod or be texting/talking on the cell phone. There was only a few exceptions to that I saw and most of the time it was because that individual was smoking a cigarette. The other observation I made dealt with the speed that people walked. If there was a group of individuals walking, it was like watching an ant move in slow motion. When there was only one or two people together, it seemed that they were moving faster either to get to class or just because they only had to keep up with one other person. As a side note, a squirrel sat there and eat his lunch less than a yard from me while this all was going on and did not move at all for about five minutes. Usually they seem to be more jumpy?

Listening
For listening, I decided that I would pay attention to the noises that my room has in it when no one is talking. It is amazing how a low fan that pivots can make so much noise. Outside of the usual noise a fan makes, there is a little knob on the top that spins around and seems to make a grinding noise. And because of the fan blowing the air towards the waste basket, the plastic bag makes the ruffling noise (which I hardly ever paid any attention to). If I pay close enough attention, I can hear the room beside me through the paper thin wall here in Jacobs. They either are in love with Jerry Springer, or there just is not anything else on daytime television.

2 comments:

Hallie said...

For the seeing part of this activity i sat on the quad and watched people walk through the quad in between classes. As i was watching i noticed how many people are constantly on either their cell-phones or iPods. It amazed me because there were only a handful of people that were actually just walking to there next class, it seemed like everyone was busy doing something either talking or listening to music on their ipods. This amazed me because I really took notice to how our generation has relied of technology in our everyday lives, such as walking to and from class.


For the LIstening part, i sat in the lobby of my dorm room and listened to everything that was going on. I heard a lot of different kinds of music as well as loud music. I also heard many people having conversations in their rooms and also the voices from the TV.

Bill Chapman said...

For the seeing part, I watched people in convo. I watched people eating, talking, and waiting in line. People who were eating obvisouly didn't talk as much as people who were not eating. I noticed that there were two different ways that people waited in line. They were either talking with there friends or they were standing by themselves not saying a word.

For the listening part, I sat in my dorm room and listened to the noises around me. The first thing I heard was the noise of the fan. The fan gave a constant noise that didn't change. Other noises that I notice are noises coming from the parking lot outside my window and also noises in the hallway. Noises from the parking lot included horns and doors closing. Noises from the hall were doors closing and people's footsteps.