Sunday, August 31, 2008

Seeing/Listening

Seeing:

I sat on the quad for my seeing. I saw about 5 people sitting outside doing homework/reading/etc. Mostly they just sat their quietly turning pages and writing. It was between classes, so there were many people walking about and rushing to get to their classes. Most people were carrying a bag or book of some type. I noticed that several people were walking in pairs. There were also numerous "hand holders" (aka couples...). Everything seemed a bit frantic and it was interesting to watch everyone rushing. It's hard to notice these things when you are a part of the chaos.

Listening:

I did my listening in my room at home this weekend. I sat for about 5 minutes and just listened. The first thing I heard was the sound of the fan in my room because it is quite loud. In my back yard, there is a big pond with a quite large fountain so the trickling of the water was the next thing I heard. It was nighttime, so I heard crickets chirping. I could also hear my next door neighbors talking, meaning they were probably sitting outside. We are near train tracks where I live and the next noise I heard was a train passing through which is quite interesting to me. In the summertime, I never notice the trains because I have adapted to them after living at home all summer. Then I go to Ashland where you rarely hear trains and whenever I come home, I notice trains and planes like crazy. Again, it's funny the things you notice when you actually stop to listen.

No comments: