Thursday, September 11, 2008

Unconventional Acting

I wonder sometimes if Keanu Reeves is actually a bad actor. He gets made fun of for it a lot and in the movies I've seen his delivery seems a bit wierd, but I have always wondered if he is actually some brilliant actor whose character is so complex that extreme subtlety is the only way to convey what is actually happening. I also wonder why comedy actors seem to never get nods for awards shows unless they do a serious role. It seems like it would be hard to be able to act comically and still make a relatable hardcore character. Maybe it has never been done.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I agree with the comment on actors in comedies never getting recognized until they do a serious role. I've thought about that myself many times. I think it's ridiculous that comedians don't get recognized for good acting. If you ask me, keeping a straight face when you're doing something that is cracking everyone else up is one of the hardest things ever. If you think about it, as an actor aren't you supposed to really believe what it is you're doing? So acting in a serious role could actualy be more easily done than acting in a ridiculous/funny role because you're in a serious mindset whereas with a funny role I feel like I'd be cracking myself up.