Thursday, August 28, 2008

seeing and listening

On tuesday I observed my friend eating and thought of it as kind of a scene. this was kind of weird at first because it both made me feel like a creeper and feel self-conscious of what I look like when I eat. I noticed that when my friend was eating, he didn't pay much attention to anything anyone else was saying. his hands were mainly on the table and he looked up every once in a while to make eye contact with other people who were also eating with us.
When I listened to things today I was sitting and listening to my friend try to explain to the new girls how to play rugby. I heard the sound of movement of grass, the boys team practicing behind us, girls scratching (the grass is itchy) and the rustle of clothing. I also noticed the sound of our captain turning the pages of her clipboard booklet which was a very official sound that said "I know what I'm talking about". Other small things that I noticed were the snappy sound that the clovers made as i plucked them. These observations taught me how to notice small details and listen to the subtle things that I would need to think about if I were acting something out. I would have to think about the little actions and sounds that would be at a specific place and time. the end

No comments: